Dental injuries occur all the time. Whether you have a crown that falls off or you cracked a tooth biting into an apple, you can count on Dr. Paulo J. Da Rosa to help you eliminate any pain, fix the issue and have you back to living life.
What Is a Dental Emergency?
Dental emergencies are oral health problems you can’t treat yourself, and that is causing you substantial pain. Common types of dental emergencies are:
- A severe toothache
- Damage to a bridge or crown
- Knocked-out teeth
- A damaged or loose filling
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Damage to your gums and mouth’s soft tissue
What are Common Causes of a Dental Emergency?
A common reason for tooth damage in adults each year is playing sports. And, this is with all athletic types and it causes the need for dental emergency visits. Even a backyard game of baseball or basketball could cause a knocked out or damaged tooth.
Vehicle accidents are another top cause of tooth injuries. While our teeth’s enamel is strong, it might not be strong enough for preventing a broken tooth when it collides with your vehicle’s steering wheel. And with as many accidents that occur every year, teeth are often a victim.
Importance of Emergency Dental Treatment
There are several reasons you should seek emergency dental care from Dr. Da Rosa as soon as possible. These include:
- Eliminate pain: Oral issues and injuries such as damaged dental work can cause a great deal of pain, therefore prompt treatment is needed to eliminate your discomfort and pain.
- Save your tooth: Certain conditions, such as an avulsed (missing) tooth must be treated quickly. For Dr. Da Rosa to save your tooth, he must re-implant it within a couple of of hours, therefore actually promptly in this type of situation can help save your tooth.
- Prevent further damage: A missing filling or crown can cause decay since it exposes your tooth to bacteria. A tooth infection can occur from a cracked tooth. By receiving prompt care, you can avoid complications like these and make sure no further damage occurs.
Treatment for Dental Emergencies
Dr. Da Rosa will look at the nature of the dental emergency and decide on the best course of treatment.
If you knock a tooth out, he’ll attempt to put it back into place. His chances of success are better if you see him within 30 minutes of your injury, however, it can still be possible if it’s been knocked out longer.
Restorations like crowns or fillings might be used for repairing cracked teeth. But, if your teeth are severely damaged, it might require one or more extractions instead.
If you have a tooth abscess, Dr. Da Rosa will eliminate the infection. They might drain the abscess of pus by making a small cut in it, and in some cases, you might require a root canal. If he can’t save your tooth, he’ll have to extract it.
Dental emergencies can be frightful, but rest assured dental emergency treatment is available 24/7 to ensure you receive the quickest treatment possible.
Since dental emergencies can occur anywhere and at any time, you should already be prepared. Pack a dental first aid kit and keep it with you. It should contain things like:
- Our name and phone number
- Small container with a lid
- Acetaminophen (not ibuprofen or aspirin, since they act as blood thinners and could cause excessive bleeding in a dental emergency).
Contact Dr. Da Rosa for Your Dental Emergency
If you experience a dental emergency of any kind, call us immediately at (401) 722-2699, so we can get you in as quickly as possible and treat it by our emergency dentist Dr. Da Rosa.